Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bike Safety 101...Weste. Style

Yesterday I posted a calm and collected writing. Luckily I didn't have the sanity or time to go back and edit!
The tone of the evening changed drastically after an attempted roller sakting, walking, bike riding, dog walking trip through the neighborhood.
---At times I feel that I am crazy to attempt such a feat.
How is it that my oldest, beloved child is my most wreckless?
Why is it that as I watch her my heart repeatedly leaps into my throat?
Julia was there too.
Her heart was doing the same jump as mine!

The heart trouble started before we left the driveway.
Here's one more WHY?...

WHY IS IT THAT DISASTER STRIKES WHENEVER I GO TO THE BATHROOM?

I feel doomed to be constipated for the next decade.

Chloe raced into the house yelling:

"Mom! MOm? Where are you?! Addi is being dangerooouuuuss!!!!"

Me (from behind a closed door): Oh no, what is Addi doing?

Chloe: She is doing circles in the street with out even looking!! She is dangerous. There are a lot of cars on our street. Julia is scared.

Me: She is not. (in slight disbelief)

Chloe: Uh huh...She is!

Me: Ok. I'll be right out. I'm washing my hands.

Chloe: She should be in big trouble! Hurry up, ok?

With that Super Chloe booked it back outside to maintain order and be on Addi Safety Watch. Leave it to my youngest to be on high alert where her big, head in the clouds sister is concerned.

---This feels slightly backwards.
In our household the little sisters keep an eye on the big sister.

I walked outside and lo-and-behold there she was swooping across the street on her powder blue bike. Addison wasn't looking for oncoming traffic at all.

There goes the heart.

I thought that this was a silly, one time deal...that once we were on our way as a group that she'd shape up.

I WAS WRONG.

I'm so tired of being wrong when it comes to this stuff. For the love of God, be safe children!
Momma can't be there all of the time and I'd like to allow you more freedom.
Addi desperately craves time with out us.
...to do things on her own or with her friends.
This shouldn't be a big deal, but after witnessing her nearly get hit by cars not once, not twice but three timess!!!

I WANT TO PUT HER ON A SAFETY LEASH AND KEEP HER AT MY SIDE.

Instead I told her as calmly as possible to hop off of the bike. She had lost bike priviledges for being unsafe. Her response...
She said; What do you mean? I didn't do anyhting wrooooonnng!!
...That was a whine.

Addison is now on bike probation.
She heard lots of "I told you so's" from her younger sisters.
This, I'm sure compounded the issue...
...making Addi feel very foolish.
---At least I'm hoping that it did.
I need something hat will force her to keep her eyes on the road and off of the clover patches on the sidelines!
Maybe a little sisterly humiliation will do the trick.
Hey, it's better than being hit by a car...
...or is it?
If I'm right about this, being "one upped" by her little sisters could feel worse than the car hit...
...that is, if I'm lucky.
---Fingers crossed.

---I'm now "hated" by my almost ten year old.
If I'm right about this...It will only last an hour. TOPS!
---Wish me luck on safety patrol.

2 comments:

  1. Try videotaping her doing the dangerous stuff when she's not looking. Then you can watch it later together and have her write a bit about any aspect of it. If that doesn't work, grab a belt and start swinging. Even if you don't hit her, she'll think you're crazy which can scare them into compliance lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. So what your saying is either create a sentimental moment or let her think that your nuts! I love it... I'm so glad that you figured this system out. I know a lot of people that have had problems with it.

    ReplyDelete