Thursday, June 7, 2012

JUNE...Spring Month or Torture Device?



I step onto the merry go round.
-Passing up a dainty, white horse clad in pink roses and heading for the ostrich caught in mid-prance I think to myself, "This could be fun."

I know...OSTRICH.
In my mind it promises for a more interesting ride.

I hop on the over sized,plastic bird, buckle up and hold onto the gold pole.
The music begins...

I turn, glancing over my right shoulder, then my left.
My head turns full circle.
The music grows louder.
I relax, looking at the fair and passersby.
The ride picks up speed.
The music plays louder.
People become stretched out burs.
Colors run together, morphing into abstractions.

Panic sets in...

Where are my kids?!
IT PICKS UP SPEED
Why am I on this thing with out the girls?!
IT SPINS FASTER
I don't see them on here.
They love the carousel.
THE CIRCUS MUSIC IS BOOMING
I'm dizzy and clinging to the ridiculous ostrich's neck.
My hands are sweaty.
I continue to scan the crowd.
Where could my family be?
-Ahh. There they are.

I spy all three of my girls.
With each pass I strain my neck to lock eyes with one or all of them.
At first glance I notice that their hair is pulled back with looping curls.
Streaming ribbons frame their faces. Cheeks are blushing and lips are ruddy...
They look so pretty.
Why are they all dolled up?
...Are my kids wearing lipstick?!
Holy...Bad Make-UP!

Who let them out like that?

They look like porcelain dolls...or street walkers...take your pick.

My head is pounding.
WHEN WILL THIS END?
The ride continues to spin.
With each turn I catch a glimpse of the kids.
I feel relief until...
....PS. All make up was added in Photoshop.
I see that they are laughing.
My little ones crowd together, pointing outstretched fingers in the direction of the carousel.

I spin...
Their squeals get louder.
Their make up grows more vulgar with each pass of the ostrich.

This ride is pure torture.

Where are the baby wipes?
Girls take that stuff off!
Stop laughing at your Mama!

I never wanted to get on this ride in the first place...
I did it for the kids.

      the ride continues - i cling to my ridiculous bird - nausea sets in - the girls vanish

I walk with a drunken swagger down the steps of the carousel.
I go to my car and drive to the elementary school...

...3 more performances, 1 more in school birthday celebration, 2 field trips to chaperone, 8 more days of lunch bag filling, 3 more gymnastics sessions, 3 more after school clubs and 12 teaching days to go.

I can make it through with a smile on my face and a camera in my hand.

THIS IS JUNE.

Its definition has changed greatly over the years.

Like the Grateful Dead once sang, "What a long strange trip it's been."








No comments:

Post a Comment