Saturday, April 21, 2012

Adult Time...It Really Does Exist

My weekend adventure is beginning early. My kids started the shuffle Thursday night!!
Wednesday night we all cuddled on the brown, mushy couch (that will soon be replaced)watching an old Voice episode.
The Voice is a family favorite. We are addicted!
Popcorn in bowls.
Drinks on tables.
Favorite blankets close by.
We were in the "zone"!
Let the singing begin...

Grace turned to Jim, batted those hazel eyes, and said, "I can't wait for our vacation."
Jim smiled and hugged her close.
Jim: Gracie, we're not going to Disney yet.
Gracie: I mean our Brooklyn, Aunt Marnee vacation! I am so excited! I can't wait! Aunt Marnee time and the Brooklyn Bridge! We are going to walk on it! Are you coming Daddy?

She managed to get all that out in one breathe!

Jim glanced at me. We exchanged smiles.
Jim: Oh...(smiling a big grin)...That vacation.
Gracie: Yes. What did you think I meant? I can't wait. We are going on Friday. That's in two days. Right Mom?...two more days until Aunt Marnee and Jerry's house, apartment in Brooklyn when we get to sleep over...right?!

That was in one breathe as well!


To clarify: *Jerry is a chihuahua, not a boyfriend...
Sorry, Peter, you've been bumped on the kiddie importance scale. Peter being the "BF."

--Back to the conversation.


Me: Yes, two more days. That's right. Thursday, then Friday.

Gracie smiled...very satisfied.

Addi and Chloe didn't say a word. They must have known that their sister planned on covering all the bases!

No need to fret...
...No need to fear!
Super Gracie was on the job!

After Jim confirmed that he'd go to the bridge we continued our snuggle session and the show continued.

Chloe, Grace and Addison packed Thursday night.
In that order.
That's the standard in our house.
...speedy and organized. (ready in less than 5 min. with the bag waiting in the kitchen and toys in a row on bed)
...messy during the process...but efficient in the end. (clothes scattered across the room, for the selection process, then picked up)
...getting the job done, in a carefree, haphazard manner of course. (rummaging through drawers and tossing things into the bag, not concerned with "what goes with what" and leaving the unwanted items on her floor until someone reminds her to put them away...then with a huff all is well)

Can you guess who belongs to each title?

The troops were all set.


--Friday was a blurr.--


School/Work/ A Physical for each kiddo...then Brooklyn!

The drive was supposed to be an hour.
It turned into two and a half.

Thank you traffic.
Thank you fork in the road, leading me over the Brooklyn Bridge and into Manhattan!
Thank you to my car for nearly running out of gas.
Thank you to Addi nearly having a panic attack on the bridge because she noticed that we were nearly out of gas... all thanks to the stop and go traffic and the wrong turn!

The real "THANKS" goes to Barbara, our GPS system.
She directed me to the nearest gas station, on Houston Street.
We made it... after I, in a panic, turned off the air conditioning, the dvd player and anything else that I could.
This didn't really help the gas situation...
Please don't ever close to run out of gas and feel that this will help in way, shape or form.
It was a momma white lie.

I told the kids that it would!

Thank you LIE. (not to be confused with Long Island Expressway)
 --You put an end to Addi's almost panic attack on the Brooklyn Bridge.


Yes, parents of the universe...
...Lying can save the day.
...or at least your own sanity while driving in traffic with a panic struck 9 1/2 year old.

Aunt Marnee met us on 82nd Street.


Three, bouncing, hyper, happy to be free of the car kids were all over the street.
Long Island had taken over this Brooklyn street.
AHHHHHH!
Run for shelter!

The kids weren't sad to see me go.
That's ok.
I rushed out the door!

Is this bad?
--Don't care.

I was doing a mental dance of joy.
I cranked up the radio and sang LOUDLY all the way home.

* The ride home WAS AN HOUR.

Jim...I'm on my way!!!!!!
Grown up time awaits.
Our plans consisted of doing whatever we wanted.
It felt perfect just to know that.
Movie, couch, cocktails, night time walk...it didn't matter. It was going to be an uninterrupted, peacefully slept night.
WOW.
...I thought that all in one breathe.






No comments:

Post a Comment