Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gadgets and Gizmos Begone!!

My house has become so many things over the years.
Our imaginations run rampant on a daily basis.

Typically, my kids aren't alone in this.
I freely admit it...
I love to froggie leap around the house and roll down grassy hills!
...I know, not typical of a woman in her mid thirties.
BUT WHY NOT?!
I am sometimes more childish than they are!

I do not understand parents or caregivers that stand by, plant themselves on a recliner or garden chair and idly watch.
---Watching as the kids have all of the fun.

Ok... I understand if you are multitasking and you set them up with paints or play dough in the yard while you garden.
I even get the whole, I was exhausted after a terrible, stressful, painfully long day at work bit.
These things happen to the most adventurous, involved people.

But.
COME ON.
iphone time...
ipad gaming...
online chat sessions...
e-mailing(unless work related)...

GIVE IT A REST.

Log off.
Put the gadgets and gizmos away...

---UNTIL AFTER THE KIDDOS ARE IN BED.

One thing that I've tried to do each day is to carve out time for on-line "stuff."
This time is never when my kids are active.
It's never when they deserve my attention (which is always.)
Unless I'm playing a game with them or showing them a site, the mac is closed down.
I'll be the first to admit...IT'S NOT ALWAYS EASY.
That's why I'm sitting here, writing at 10:42pm.
I'm beginning to feel like the digital era has turned us into distracted, "A.D.D." like, media monsters.
We are constantly "being fed" information.

Why should my daughter have to beg me to log-off when she wants to show me the new pipe cleaner art that is hanging from her ceiling?
Why should any of them beg for attention...over unanswered e-mails?

You may not like to hear this,
but...

THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.

It's obvious that I'm having a preachy kind-of moment.

Hang in there.
Reality checks are good for the soul.

It's no accident that my kitchen tiles were volcanic ash.
The grout turned into molten lava.
I have spent two evenings hopping on my tip toes, trying to avoid cracks!
Addi, Grace and Chloe have being doing their damnedest to knock me over and push me down as I have done my damndest to cook dinner each night.
Now and again I'd shout out: Girls, careful...hot stuff!
or
Not by the stove! Someone will get hurt for real!

Then the fun continued.
The kitchen has been ready to burst.
...with laughter.

I always knew that Tiny, our Chloe was a tough cookie.
I had no idea that she was this tough! Out of all three she was the only one able to knock me off my feet!
This royally pissed Addi off.
How could her baby sister be stronger than her?!


It was so funny!

My Mom was over for the first round, during night One.
She cleared out after a few minutes.

Mom, I'm not crazy...really!
By the way...you stepped in lava!! OUCH!!

I'm proud to say that this is the "NORM" in our house.





No comments:

Post a Comment