Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rainy Nights and Lullabys

Time soars. It flies. It often escapes us.

Tonight I lay with Grace on the top bunk, under the magic fairy tree, curled up in her softer than soft red comforter.
She had asked me, ever so politely, to stay with her.

"Mom, I know that you won't really sleep with me, but can you snuggle with me for awhile?"

--Of course I would.

Addi had fallen asleep on the couch next to us. I walked her to her bed in a state of sleep walk. She will never remember it in the morning.

-Keep walking baby.
-Good job.
-Uh oh...step...good job.
-Almost there.
-Now, hop up.
-Ok...you did it.
-Sweet dreams my love.
...all while my hands rest on her shoulders to gently guide her.

Chloe was fast asleep below, nestled with her favorite "soft, pink, nigh night."
She had smiled when I kissed her cheek. It was a sleepy, baby smile. The kind that sneaks into your current dream.
--Dream something amazing baby.

Gracie waited patiently, standing next to the bunk bed. I climbed the ladder after her. I thanked her for being "such a good girl, a patient kid"...
She smiled at me, said, "No problem." and told me that she loved me.
I returned the love and gave her my favorite goodnight...
"I love you more than the sun and the moon and the stars, forever and ever...and that's a whole lot."
Gracie gave me her favorite response, "I know Mom. I love you too."
She pursed her lips into a perfect bow, waiting for a smooch. Grace is such a lover. -Such a romantic.
So like her Mama...

I stroked her hair and cheek with my fingertips and sang her to sleep:

I'll love you forever.
I'll like you for always...
As long as I'm living...
My baby you'll be.


This was on repeat for fifteen minutes.

It has always put all three of my girls to sleep.
This is a song sung in one of their favorite bedtime stories.
The title is the same as the verse, I'll Love You Forever.


I lay there, singing in my strained, allergy riddled voice.
I thought...
She loves this.
It doesn't matter how bad my voice sounds or how horribly it is cracking...
My baby will love this forever.

Grace fell asleep and I lay there a bit longer listening to the rain.
It beat against the house in torrents.
The wind whistled through the trees in my backyard.
Pure magic.
These are my favorite kinds of nights.

I thought there nothing better than being lulled to sleep by the rain for so long.
Now I see that I was wrong.
Helping Gracie fall asleep is far better.

*TEA CUPS, courtesy of Photobucket.
*Raining Hearts and Rainy Heart in Traffic =  Me.




No comments:

Post a Comment