Friday, April 13, 2012

Mom Enforced Hygene and a Whole Lotta Wheels

Happy FRIDAY!!!!! Teachers, Parents and Kids...Please take note:Vacation is almost over. (I'm sorry.)

I rounded up the girlies bright and early, 8:00 am.
This was not by choice.
This is not what I wanted to be doing during my last Friday of Spring Vacation.
I was the model of mommyhood... making sure that my little ladies were fed, dressed and had their hair and teeth brushed.
That last one is imperative.
I'm always amazed by what happens if I skip the "breathe test."
...You know the one that we Mom's are pros at.

"Open your mouth and breathe on me."

GROSS..
...BUT EFFECTIVE.

With out this stinky trick at least one of my three will leave the house unbrushed.
Sad to say, but it's usually the oldest.
...my earthy, crunchy, head in a sketchbook, Addison.
She says that she's too old for this stuff. I say bologna.

She is usually "somewhere else." That somewhere is her own creative mind. Where nonsense like ridding the mouth of grunge and plaque, and a need for clean socks are not essential. I adore my child's way of seeing the world and her ability to forget it's existence...HOWEVER, IT'S A LOT MORE WORK FOR ME!

My gang and I were on our way to a 9am doctor's appointment. They were all getting their yearly physicals. The big question of the morning being:
"We don't have to get shots...DO WE???"
My Answer: "That depends on what the doctor says. It's important that all three of you listen to the doctor. It'll all be fine."

They totally didn't believe me, but luckily went along quietly.

That was that.
We were stuck in traffic and five minutes late.
I courtesy called the pediatrician's office. (I'm usually late. This is a must so that I don't feel guilty.)

The Receptionist: "We don't have any of your girls down for an appointment this morning.
Me: "I just made the appointments yesterday with Nicole...9, 9:30 and 10"
The receptionist: "I have the family in for next Friday morning, not this Friday."
Me: "I'm sorry but that's not correct. I would never make an appointment that forced me to take the kids out of school. Can you fit us in or can we reschedule?"

That was that.
Appointments all around made for next Friday---AFTER SCHOOL.

So I pulled a u-turn at the next light and told Chloe that she could get the haircut that she desperately wanted.
The kids were all on roller skates...which is the norm.
The owner was nervous. All, but Chloe, had to stay seated.
Yeah...Good luck, yeah right!
Addi and Grace were amused in the chairs for roughly two minutes. Then they began a series of teeny tiny circles in the waiting area. Peter seemed alright with this. Those circles got bigger.
I kept a close eye on them and his expression. If I spied even the slightest twitch or raised brow they were going back in their chairs.

catastrophe averted


The entire staff of the salon was amused by my wheelin' dealin' girlies.
Stories were told of younger years and days past, spent on similar skates.
My kids were retro.
They were cute.
They were cool.
They were the talk of the hair salon...in a positive way!
I was thrilled.

Chloe emerged looking even more the sweet fairy, with a pixie cut.
She says that she "has a Mommy haircut."

Now Grace wants her hair cut off tomorrow, complete with bangs.
We'll see...
She's never had short hair or bangs!
Grace is a drama mama. I can imagine a flood of tears if she is unhappy with the cut.
I have a feeling that she'll rethink this over the next twenty four hours and change her mind.
...nothing wrong with playing safe at age six.

We decided to visit Aunt Amy and the cousins.
That was a NO-NO.
Poor Amy was stuck de lousing her entire house...
...stuffed animals.
...bedding.
...furniture.
...hairbrushes...
...and family.

Her kids had all come up lice free but a buddy with creepy critters had frequented their house while they were undetected.
My cousin is in health care.
NEED I SAY MORE?

We happily gathered on her side steps.
We made plans for after the de-bugging.
Then we were rolling away again.

My girls and I have decided that our front porch is the greatest place to be on glorious days like today.
The three of us sat on the sun drenched wooden planks and stretched our toes.
Our bodies were warmed.
We ate our lunch there and sunbathed afterwards.
We were all lubed up in SPF 50.
I'm not trying to give my fair skinned babies "the big C."
It was time to breathe in the Spring air and just "be".
*Paul McCartney just popped into my head.
You guessed it.
"Let it be...Let it be...Let it be...Oh, Let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom.
Let it be E!"
Thank you Paul.

Ahhhhh. Relaxation with out spending a penny.
A perfect sky on a perfect day.

The front porch experience lasted 20 minutes.
The kids overheated.
Done.
They needed make believe time indoors.
...something about horses, unicorns and killer Dads.
I over heard: You know that the Dad will murder you.
I interjected: Dad will what?! No murdering Dads here.
Grace: Mom it wasn't real. We are just playing around.
Me again: (Gotta love this part of being a parent) Kids...No way. No murderous Daddy's allowed.
NO MATTER WHAT.
Addi: Ugghhh. Really?? Mom.
Me AGAIN: Addi, seriously?!

You'd think that I had single handedly ruined make believe forever. 


Today's theme : wheels.


I took off Grace's training wheels. It's time to get this kid up to speed with her older and younger sisters.
The Gracie-Corn has to get rolling...for real...not for fake.
Bye, Bye...preschool style bike.

She has refused elbow and knee pads because "they aren't her style."
I guess that Grace's style is pain.

According to Grace bikes aren't her style either. She has dubbed herself "a scooter girl."
Bike Riding 101 was a complete flop!
Grace flat out refused to even sit on the seat.

Grace: Mom, I don't care if the whole family is bike people. I'm not! I'm not saying this because I'm scared. I'm not afraid. (peering over the rim of her glasses with hands on hips and helmet on head) I just will never like bikes. That's it. My bike can sit there forever. I won't ride it. And that's that.


Grace, gracefully danced her way to the kitchen door and walked into the yard.
My kid is full of spunk.


...and that's that.


THE END












No comments:

Post a Comment