Thursday, April 26, 2012

CALAMITY JANE...That's MY Name.

HAAAAPPPPPPPYYYY THURSDAY!! YEEEEHHAAAAaaaaaaaa!! Come on Friday!

We have almost made it through another work/school week.

Sigh of relief. Little grin sneaking onto my face.
Lalalalala...a little bitty closer to Summer.
A tiny, teeny, smidgen nearer to days spent on the beach.

I'm pinching the air close with my fingers and peering through the space...
...soon I'll see a shore line instead of a computer monitor.

... almost done checking backpacks and homework for the week.
The thought makes me want to kick off my shoes and stretch.
Moms and Dads... --- We are soooo close to Friday!

Today was part blunder, part accident, unexpected mess and all completely normal.

---On The Professional Level---

Oh so many things were happening!
Let's tally them up!

!) I am dealing w/a photo paper shortage. Not good at all when two of my classes are studying photography and printing their hearts out. (That was an "!" on purpose!)

2) Found myself talking to two young artists for 20 minutes in the hallway. Wonderful conversation...got so caught up in it...assumed (silly me) that they had lunch!
WRONG.
THEY WERE IN AN ART CLASS AND ON A BATHROOM RUN!
They got in trouble and I felt really badly. (not for them...for their teacher. Sorry Marg...your class is important. I pointed that one out to the girls as well.xoxo) Oh...kids, kids, kids.

3) Dealt with 3 broken digital video cameras. ---Really bad when 3 of my classes are making movies and needed them! OUCH! (We only have 6.)

4) My importing equipment was possessed. It mysteriously stopped functioning!!!! Again, really sux when kids are trying to import their movies into an editing program....and CAN'T.

Yes...There's more...

5) Had two Digital Video Cassettes vanish from a locked cabinet. POOF!!!! GONE.
They have been safe and secure for 9 weeks! Why now? After completed movies were being stored on them, ready for importing?! (by the importing equipment that doesn't work) I mean...COME ONNN! (very upset students = very upset teacher)

This was all before NOON....

---HOW I HANDLED THE CALAMITY--

!) Nothing left to do but smile... I am not the Photo Paper Fairy. I don't have wings made of unprocessed film. My dress is not constructed of light sensitive paper and stitched together with filament.
---If it were I'd tear off sheet by sheet.
Put them all in a box...
and give it to my kids!
...Then go find something else to wear.
VOILA!! FAIRY POWER AT ITS BEST.


Unfortunately, I'm only a temporary fairy.
Only permanent fairies can do this type of magic. (quick! Go get Alice The Fairy...awesome book)

Instead, I used my thinking on my feet art teacher magic...
I created a new project in a pinch. My ninth graders are now making their own "pin hole" cameras out of film cartridge cases...aka snap caps. They are going to be making "baby" images with them. -Only two by two inches and smaller. We'll eventually make a large artwork with all them collaged on a board. Can't wait! I'm actually really excited about this! Thankfully, so are my students!

2) My "blog note" made it apology #2. Next time I'll remember to remember that I am surrounded by teenagers who get caught in the moment easily. Yes...kinda like me. This isn't going to be easy! 
Does that make me a teenager?! Nope...but it does tell me that I'm in the right place! I simply have to put my adult shoes on and ask if a kiddo should be in class before starting up an art talk. Rules, rules, rules. On the positive side, at least they were learning about art.

3) The 3 digital cameras are still broken...Again, I'm not a permanent fairy so there's not much that I can do here.
I lied.
I created a photoshop/digital camera assignment for 1/2 of the class to work on while the other half uses the remaining video cameras. This was a BIG PAIN IN THE BUTT!
I spent 1/2 of the period rummaging through a very unorganized, unused cabinet looking for the proper equipment.
FWWWEEEW!
Once found...we were back in action!
Driver's start your engines!!
Let the extreme close up photo race begin!!
Winner is the first to upload six ECU's and begin enhancing them!!!
I think that my classes liked this idea...mainly because it was a change of pace and they were allowed to wander the campus snapping pics.

4) Thankfully #3 was also the solution to #4.

AHHHHhhhhhh...almost done!
This is exhausting.
Did I really do all of this?! ...Yup, I did.

Mental Break...had to check in with myself. The brain still works.

5) After multiple searches of cabinets, lockers, folders, drawers, shelves and lockers I have come up empty handed. I feel horribly for these two groups of kids. Their original movies were really good! I told them that 3 lessons were learned:

1- Don't leave your DVC's in the cameras. Put them away every day. (like they are supposed to)
2- This time it will be even better! Last time could be thought of as practice...This is the real deal. (don't think they bought that)
3- Don't ever leave anything with Weste. (me) I move in too many directions at once! I told them this rule in advance.

I need a tall drink.
Forget that.
I need a shot.

---On a Personal Note---

I'm hopeful that this evening will be a mellow one.

Who am I kidding?!

After 5PM...
...Thursdays are a disaster.
Addi is bound to be terrorizing her little sisters at some point.
Grace will have her ever popular Thursday meltdown. These are good ones!
Lots of foot stomping...
Frown wearing...
Breathe holding fun!
Chloe, like Addi and Grace, will be exhausted.
She's the easy tired one.
Chloe breaks down and cries.
I'll find her curled up and teary on a floor somewhere...
---desperate for a tight hug and to be carried.
After a case of the "nasties" and a tantrum, that's all that her sisters will want too.

Then we'll have my favorite part. A quiet goodnight.
Jim is away on a business trip.
That means the four of us will pile into our bed for a cozy, snuggly night's sleep together.

Fingers crossed for success after the kiddie storms.

Tonight's Photos:
1) Snap Caps 
2) Pinhole Image #1
3) Crazy Kid Car 


...all were photographed and enhanced by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment