Sunday, April 8, 2012

Breaking into Spring Break

The first two days of Spring break were a little crazy. I should say, I felt crazed! I needed Thursday to unwind and get out of work/teacher mode and into VACA. MODE.
This normally isn't an issue.
I don't know what my deal was.
We lazed around until 10am.
It was a morning of eggs, bacon, toast and the HUB. I am not normally a TV Mom. My kids can often be heard telling others that "TV is bad for your brain."
This is a direct Mommy quote.
I'm proud that my girls are earnest believers of this.
Jim thinks that it's un-American. He turns the tube on as soon as he walks in the door. He uses the TV as background noise...as if we don't have enough of that already.
I'm not against ALL TV. I limit it. We have favorite shows that get io'ed and watched weekly. My girls and I never skip an episode of Once Upon a Time or The Voice.
Friday has also been deemed movie night. If it's been a good week we either go see a movie in the theatre or order one "on demand." It's an evening filled with tons of popcorn, ice cream and arguments over movie choices.
--- Fun all around.
 I usually play referee.
What else am I for, right?!

Thursday morning the kids played with their dolls quietly. It was a miracle!
...Are they really my kids?
...Did aliens invade and replace my kids with droids?
It was real and I was able to sleep until 8am...truly unbelievable.

The HUB is my favorite channel.
If you don't know it...find it.
Old school family classics and cartoons, 24/7...perfect.
I have no qualms about my children watching Tom and Jerry hit each other with frying pans or fight to save/eat little Tweety Bird.
It's stupidity like Sponge Bob Square Pants, that I can't tolerate...Sorry to all of you Sponge Bob fans out there.
Mindless, make believe violence, between cats and dogs I can handle...nature at its best.
...purely mindless, I can't.
...getting to the point...It was a HUB morning.

Then I was off and running. This was another time where I Thanked God for our au pair, aka taxi, aka side kick, Julia. I had three and a half hours to scramble like a lunatic and become the Easter Express!

THE LIST

* 6 chocolate bunnies (1 dark, 1 German, and 4 "normal")
* Basket grass
* Basket plastic wrap...Oh I  almost forgot...It's called cello wrap.What can I say, I'm not an elementary art teacher...These things escape me.
*  Candy, candy and more candy! That's what the kiddos look forward too...I normally limit sweets too. I know, I'm a Mommy Monster.
* A toy or two for each basket...I'm thinking Summer/ beach stuff.
* Anything else that will act as filler! (Last year "the bunny" brought roller skates and filled them with candy. The year before he ditched the messy, grass and filled the baskets with ballerina skirts...clever, little bunny)
*A trip to The Pork Store...This is the only place to get the German bunny. Jim is on a very specific chocolate kick.
* Pick up the lamb...or be in deep crap with the hubby. I know nothing about selecting decent meat. Wish me luck.
* An Easter dress for me because I deserve something nice to wear to church that isn't two sizes too big, faded because of age or permanently stained.
* Easter dresses for the girls. They love their dresses!
* Pick up Miss Grace from play date #1 at 1pm.
* Drop the social butterfly off at play date #2 by 2pm.

THE AFTER HOURS LIST

* Clean house
* Make dinner
*Take down Summer clothes from the attic and begin to sort into 3 kid friendly piles! SLAVE WORK...If you've been there you know that it is pure torture for everyone.

We sort.
The kids are forced to try it all on.
It goes well at first...whining happens...you resort to nods of approval or grunts of disapproval...
Whining happens again...head is now throbbing...more whining...head throbs in places that you didn't know it could...
The house looks like the laundry monster puked all over it.
Hell on Earth...This is no joke.
The bright side. We save a fortune on clothing. Hand me downs are the way to go...vintage is cool.

Can I do it? Straight from Bob the Builder...Yes I can!
...because I don't have a choice!!!

EIGHT HOURS LATER...I'm sitting with Jim and Julia. We are eating chocolate and sharing a bottle of wine. Aaaaahhhhhhh.

I managed to accomplish most of my goals...
Minus the Pork Store, the dark chocolate bunny and the dresses for the girls.
Those have been bumped.
They are Friday morning's problems now.

FRIDAY...

Here's my minute to minute report.

- Up at 7:40 am...Thank you kids for letting me sleep again. Mommy loves you dearly.
- 8:10 am ...off to the bank. I need $$ to spend.
- 8:30 am...I walked 20 min. to the hair salon and got a fresh cut.
- 9:20 am...Walked to the train station and swiped the Trailblazer from it's usual parking spot. I count on Jim's predictability so often. Love ya honey!
- Headed for the wholesale store in search of dresses. They have beautiful, girlie dresses...Who knew?! Lucked out...nothing in Addi's size.
- I spent $$ that I didn't need to on stuff that we don't need. I realized this in retrospect...of course.
- 10:30 am... Headed to Target, home of holiday dresses...No luck again!!
- Made it home in time for Julia to catch a train to NYC. the lucky girl is off to Miami for a week with an au pair friend. You'll hear more about this in another blog. Stay tuned! It's bound to be a good read. Full of youth hostiles and stories of inexperienced, young people.
- Attempted to buy roller skates...not blades. The kids say that I need to roll with them! Stay tuned for more on that as well. It's been 10 years since I've "rolled" anywhere!
- 4 pm... Alexis is picked up. I watched my friend's little girl for the evening. AKA...impromptu play date.



This was more than I had expected. It was a full day's energy packed into 3 hours! Little Alexis was a ball of bouncing energy! I love this kid to pieces, but man, I was wiped out after her visit. Did she eat chocolate before she came over? I don't know yet...her Mom is on a recon mission at the moment and in the process of Dad interrogations.
- I boiled eggs (for decorating) and cooked Aunt Annie's Cheesie Bunnies and corn for dinner... (The bunny action continues.)
- 7 pm... Jim walks in the door early!! I love it!! The girls loved it too. "DADDDDDYYY!!!" was shouted as he crossed the threshold...such a lucky guy.
- I dropped Alexis off at 7:20 and was on my way home to DECORATE EGGS!

LATE NIGHT...

We made funtastic eggs! They are vibrant. They are kooky, unique, splashed with swirls and glittering with gold.
Shortly after, Chloe had enough.
The day was done!
It was melt down time.
Every syllable was stretched a mile and followed by whining and tears.
The "soft nigh-night" was cuddled close to her elfin, little body.
Chloe begged for Lord of the Rings to be put on..."in Mommy and daddy's room, the one where Shmigle becomes Shmigle."
THERE IT WAS.
THE ULTIMATE CLUE.
LORD OF THE RINGS!
...Chloe's perfect end to a long day.

That's how it ended.
The five of us crammed into our bed, as we've done so many nights before.
We watched Chloe's favorite movie.
There was grumbling about being too smooshed but that died away with exhaustion.
The kids dropped off one by one.
Within 20 minutes Addi and Chloe were "out."
Gracie lasted an hour.
I lasted an hour and ten minutes! Jim tried to bribe me with a cold glass of my favorite white wine.
Two sips later and I was passed out!
...just label me one of the kids.
Mommy had a busy day.


SATURDAY... 8 am. I opened the fridge.

There sat my glass of white wine, covered tightly with saran wrap.
Let the weekend roll on!
Easter here we come!


*Photos from our walk were taken by Addison. (except for the one with her in it!)
*The portrait of "me" was taken by Chloe.
*The blue dinosaur was photographed by Chloe.
*All other images were photographed by "me."
*The window was photographed by Chloe.

Here are some more photos of our Easter  Eggstravaganza!!










No comments:

Post a Comment