Friday, March 9, 2012

Caffeine Couldn't Save Me from This Week... But A Massage Might!




This morning's lunch box notes.

I'm spent.
I'm "SHOT."
Mop the floor with me...
I need a nap...
...or better yet a massage!

Is this wimpy?
Am I feeling the daily ups and downs of life pulling me to the ground?
Did I lose the weekly arm wrestle with stress?
...Kinda.
It's Friday and I am thrilled that the work week has come to another crashing end.
Believe me when I say that I love my job.
Often, it is more relaxing to be here than wrangling up my troops at home.
5 Groups of roughly 20 teenagers -vs- a 5 yr old, a 6 yr old, and a 9 1/2 yr old
---It's a close call.---

On most days, after the morning struggle to get the kids onto the bus and myself into the car...
I welcome my classroom with open arms.
I breathe. (air filled with photo chemistry)
I smile. (and gulp my coffee)
I shout out directions to my students like a maniac!
It feels great.

My week began with fourth grade drama. My Addi was upset with me, yet again. I'm obviously not her favorite parent this week...........
I listened to a voicemail from her best friend's Mom during my lunch break. She had pulled together a last minute birthday "thing" for her daughter.
I thought "cool deal." Until the message continued. It went something like this:
"I thought that we'd leave for Huntington (which is 20 min. away) at 8 (as in P.M.)...
I want to bring the girls to Crazy Yogurt for (we'll call her...Jen) Jen's birthday. It was yesterday and I thought that the girls would like this. There's another Mom going with her daughter and I really hoped that YOU and Addi could come too. It would make Jen so happy. Ok. Thanks. See you later. Bye."
CRAP.
8 P.M.
ON A SCHOOL NIGHT.
THEY ARE 9.

Call me old fashioned but this was out of the question.
Again, call me old fashioned...but my youngest kids are snuggled in bed and asleep by 8:30. Addi is typically dozing off with a good book by then. If they had left at eight they wouldn't be back until at least 9:30, maybe even closer to 10.
I immediately thought NO WAY...Then quickly thought MY DAUGHTER IS GOING TO BE PISSED! (Look at that photo. Doesn't it scream pre teen attitude?!)
---Next Mental Note---
Am I wrong? Do other parents let their kids out this late? Addi is going to hate me for this? Are my rules going to cause my kids to lose friends?
---Next Mental Note---
Call Jim fast! What does he think?
He was obviously busy. I could tell by his abrupt sentences and the way that he rushed his speech. I told him I needed his input here...I gave him the break down...He thought I was nuts...."You called me for this? ...At work?...Seriously Bill?"
---Quick Response---
"Of course I did! This is serious stuff...I thought that you needed to know about the potential disaster that you could be walking into tonight. I wanted to be fair to you and make sure that we were in agreement with this one. Do you have my back here? Addi's gonna be upset."
---Jim---
"Yeah, yeah, whatever, sure. I really gotta go. 8 o'clock is way too late for her to be out. Bye."
That was that. I felt better. He was grumpy but my hubby had my back.
I felt EVEN BETTER after polling a half dozen other parents through out my work day. They were all on my side too. YAY!
...I went through all of this only to have my eldest daughter be completely reasonable and accepting?!
WHAT?!
Now I did feel crazy.
Addison was perfectly fine with it and simply asked if Jen could sleep over this weekend.
I obviously have to stop underestimating my daughter. But really, this was a super shocker! Addi was so mature. It would be so great if her mood wasn't unpredictable (typical of her age) and this calm continued.
AHHHHHH...A SIGH OF RELIEF.

To rush through the rest of the week I give you this. It will help you understand why I am deserving of that massage!

I had first grade friendship drama. (see last night's post)
I was professionally, observed teaching by my new boss. (She's wonderful, but this was a first...Firsts make me nervous)
I had student works to gather, matt and frame for a gallery show. (due Friday)
We had our lovely evening at gymnastics and my ipad wasn't picking up a wifi signal. (I got no work done while stuck there for 444444 hours. It was 4 but felt like 444444.)
Chloe had ooey, gooey eyes!!! (...thank you nasty foam pit at gymnastics. Pink eye sux.)
Chloe had a surprise doctor visit with a surprise prescription for eye drops! (We parents all know that eye drops and kids don't mix.)
While there the doctor also took a look at the rash that had formed near Chlo's mouth and hands.
(...One more prescription was added. This time a cream. Poor Chloe.)
There were tears at the kitchen table over math when Addison's teacher accidentally gave her homework waaaaay above her skill level. (My kid cried and deemed herself stupid. I got that thought out of her head fast and immediately wrote the teacher a note. "Am I missing something? Should Addi get a tutor? My poor kiddo cried because her math homework so so difficult." Next day...of course, in the middle of my class the phone rings. I pick it up because I see the school #. Big apology from math teacher. Big oops on her part.)
Chloe sporting her lovely rash and puffy eye.
There were tears all over the house because of eye drops! (... and gooey stuff in places that I don't want to think about.)
We also have a house guest. (This is no problem though. Julia's boyfriend, Jonas is visiting from Germany. My thoughts this: The more, the merrier...as long as he really doesn't mind sleeping in a bed with a pink, rainbow comforter and being in our crazy house! PS...I hope he doesn't take pink eye back home with him.)
Last, but not least I created hand made birthday party invitations for Grace and Chloe. Then the girls hand delivered them. (This required a little help from Julia today because we couldn't get the job fully done yesterday. The girls loved the idea of knocking on their friends doors and saying" Special delivery." It was super cute to watch too. This made the five days of card crafting worth it.)

La cucka ra cha... La cucka ra cha!...Da da da da DA! ...just popped into my head! Why?
I'll tell you...
I deserve to shake it on a dance floor with a margarita in my hand after my week.
HELLLOOOOO FRIDAY. I LOVE YOU.
Where is my massage?


No comments:

Post a Comment