Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spaztic Moments and the Calm After

...the "baby years" and Addi's painted on black eye!
My nine year old woke up at 5 A.M.
To be more specific...
She scared me half to death while I was showering.
I heard a noise.
I called out,"Hellloo?"
I heard the noise again.
"Hellloooo?"
"Hello?"
NOTHING.
I continued to shower and heard a THUD.
"Who's there?"
I glimpsed through the warbled glass door of the shower.
NOTHING.
I continued to condition my hair, now seeing flashes of the shower murder scene in Hitchcock's Psycho.
Then I heard it...
A high pitched, but moany,"MooOooOMmm."
I looked out again. No one was there.
Where was my kid?
I poked my dripping,wet head out and looked down.
Addison had crawled into the bathroom and was lying on the floor in front of the tub.

Me: "Addi, baby... What's wrong?"

Addi: "It's my stuuuumick (that was whisper/whined). I think I'm going to throw up. I have a lump in my throat...(pointing to her neck) here."

Me: "Ok. Go lay down on the couch and relax. Get a drink of water and I'll come in and check on you    baby."

Addi: "Ooo. K."(more moaning)

I'm sure that you've all been here before. If you haven't been the parent in the situation but can relate to the kid version you know that neither side is getting a good deal here. One is forced to function in hyper over drive while the other is glued to a couch or bed.

My first thoughts, after being frightened were...
* She's faking.
---Then she gave me the "throat" line and I was a believer.
* Poor Addi.
* This is the last thing that I want to deal with right now.
* Julia is going to be busy today.
* Oh no, I need garbage bags...pronto! Zero left. Can I get them with a sick kid?
* I hope that Chloe and Grace don't get this too.
* I don't have enough sick days to get me through the school year!!
* Oh, no. It's gymnastics day!!! Can we shuffle this and get the garbage bags too?
* Where's my COFFEE?
* Is it time to wake up Gracie and Chlo Chlo?
* Nope, good...quick ...do make-up and dry hair.

Those thoughts all crossed my mind at record speed. This is typical of my life. I move at the speed of light in the morning...half asleep. I stumble over toys. I trip over the dog and always land on my feet. I bump into Julia in the kitchen, in the hall, in the bedrooms...or come close. I make lunches and snacks while cooking half a dozen perky eggs... each morning.  (3kids X 2eggs each = 6, 8 if Jim eats too)
I bellow orders.
"Girls HAIR!"
"Kids...QUICK!"
"Come on guys...The bus is going to be here!"
"Where are your socks?"
"No breakfast until clothes are on."
"Pleeeease. Just get dressed."
"Is homework in the bags?!"
"Do we have any singles for lunch $$?"

Then at some point I make my bed because at a very early age I was brainwashed.  I NEED to do this before I ever consider carrying on with my day. ...seriously. I'm a spaz about it. It may be the only organized pert of the room but...my room feels messy unless the bed is made. Then I pat my girls on the heads, give each a quick smooch and an "I love you" and I'm rushing out the door...coffee, red bag, paperwork and any art supplies needed all in hand. A psychic once read my past lives. She humbled me by saying that I was an incredibly wise shaman woman that people traveled great distances to speak to. I think that I must have been a gifted juggler.

--- 10 HOURS LATER---

Here I sit reflecting on the days events. We survived Addison's tummy trouble. She's feeling much better now. I attribute this, in part to the fact that I stopped home to check in her during my lunch break. When I found her on the couch playing the wii I turned it off and glanced an "Oh, No...not what I do" look in Julia's direction. Yes, I told my daughter to get dressed, brush her hair and draw on the front porch swing. She protested at first but knows her Mama well. With in five minutes we were in the yard swinging in the sun and soaking up some luscious Vitamin D. Prest-O... Change-O...she was better when I strolled back in at 3:20. Fresh air works wonders.
Teaching were a pleasure today. Most mornings I feel blessed that I get to spend the first 45 minutes of my work day in a dark! Literally, I'm a photography teacher. I travel between the dark room and lit classroom for the majority of the day. It's my "Bat Cave"...the trusty old D.R.
I was very, very tempted to ditch gymnastics due to the amazing weather but went. Grace and Chloe were suited up and ready to go when I walked in. I couldn't let them down just because I wanted to clean the yard. A pleasant Mom with an adorable four month, old baby boy sat next to me in the waiting room today. We had a great conversation and I held her little guy for a bit. For a brief
milli-second I had the urge to conceive baby number four. Then the little charmer spit up on his mama's arm and that urge was vanquished. I'm so happy to be beyond those years. I'll take a crammed bed and homework help over diapers any day.

My girls fell asleep on time again.
Here I sit...sipping my green tea and thinking how grateful I am for moments like these. the mornings belong to us all...
...But, after a busy day (with many more to come...)
...THE NIGHT IS MINE.


No comments:

Post a Comment