Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mommy, turned Teacher, turned Film Critic

Today was an exciting day.
I came to school dressed as a film critic.

Hmmm...

What does this mean...
... exactly?

---MY VERSION OF THE CRITIC---

I taught my film students while wearing EXTRA LARGE, BLACK, RHINESTONE STUDDED GLASSES.


My hair was pink streaked (as usual, which fit the tone) and blown out to perfection...
Well, as good as I could get it. While shouting out to my girls and Julia this morning, making sure that they were ready for school,
...sneakers...yes.
...hair brushed...almost.- everyone but my Addi love. Perfectly normal. Remind Miss Addison, one more time to please brush her hair. Mama must be buttery smooth here or be force to deal with A.M. attitude from charming 9 1/2 yr. old. (I'm convinced that the 1/2 is where the trouble began...beware)
...kids fed?...I started it and Julia finished. Thank you honey! Now Chloe will grow instead of shrink! She is sooo skinny! ...growing at the speed of light these days.
...glasses found?...yup.
...Grace's glasses on face?...not yet! Gracie baby...don't forget to put them on again! After a minute I hear,"Got them Mom!" shouted from a corner of the house somewhere. Grace emerges smiling her gorgeous smile, proud of her purple shades...Yay!!
..."Mommy Notes?!...Ahhhhh! I forgot the Mommy notes for my lovelies. I always write something on their napkins with a cute little "mommy doodle." Yes, your Mama loves you. Here I go, hot pink Sharpie in hand. Smiley butterflies and heart shaped balloons fly onto the napkins...Success!
...school bags packed...Once again, I get the lunch bags packed and Julia has given them a "once over" and approvingly tossed them in. 


I had allotted myself five minutes of blow - dryer time! Go Mama! GOOOOO!!!

---BREATHE---

Ok.

...Back on track.

I wore black, of course...
...but needed to jazz it up with some color.

Out of the closet came my favorite bird skirt and flower clad scarf.
Please remember, this is my version of a critic.

I've gotta "throw in" or "throw on" my quirks. They make life interesting, dramatic and plain old fun!

MY MOTTO: If it makes me think of my childhood then I need to wear it!

I have to admit I enjoyed seeing my students' faces as they approached me at the classroom door.

I'm sure that they were wondering "what my deal was?"...

I'm also sure that some think I'm nuts...
...in the best sense of the word...
...at least I hope so!
...plus, I think that they're used to me by now!

As "my big kids"(this is what my little kids call them, affectionately) settled in and the bell rang...

IT WAS SHOW TIME!
Act 1 Scene 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, lunch break and onto the finale! ---That means period  9.

I simply said,"Hi guys. I'm dressed in my film critic attire today. We are going to evaluate the prologue of  the film that you acted out yesterday!"

There were a few thoughtful glances.
Some questions as to what I'd be showing..
...but we were off and running.

The lights were turned off.
I attempted to take off my ever dark shades...
then stopped.

One of my students shouted out to me from across the room.

"Wait! Weste. (my nick-name), don't come out of character! Don't take your glasses off."

I guess that means...
As Marilyn Monroe once cooed,"They like me...They really like me."

DID I KEEP THEM ON?...

IN THE DARKNESS?

TO STAY IN CHARACTER?

JUST BECAUSE A STUDENT ASKED?

OF COURSE I DID!


My eyes adjusted...Remember...I spend most of my days in the dark!


I teach 35 mm. photography and video.


I fumbled for the settings panel that controlled the LCD projector.


NO PROBLEM!
DONE DEAL!


Whammo!!!
Happy teenagers!
I love my job!

Little did my students know that the classroom antics were truly due to my misery. I had been suffering a wicked migraine for a day.
It was only getting worse.
My eyes were incredibly sensitive to light...
Sounds that were normally acceptable became irritating...
HENCE, THE OVER SIZED THEATRICAL GLASSES.

Oh, how we adults constantly think on our feet!
Sometimes I amaze myself.
Thank you Motherhood.
If it weren't for my multitasking skills and my act cool in the face of pain, Mama attitude ...
I could have never pulled this off.

My pounding frontal region and my students benefited from my wardrobe.
Today was a good day!

Stay tuned for Day 2, Scene 1.













No comments:

Post a Comment