Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Flying Umbrellas and a Magic School Bus

My fantastic fliers.
Oh... how Mondays fly by.
My kids are all fast asleep.
They're pooped out!
I'd like to think that it's all my doing...
But it's not.

Julia, her boyfriend (Jonas) and a paper bus had more to do with this than I did.
Chloe had been running and rolling all over creation from the moment she exited the school bus. She had been on numerous adventures before I had even breezed through the threshold.
From what I had been told there had been a game of tag and another game of chasing and farting on Jonas!
Did I mention that Chloe isn't shy?
---or---
- that -
...my youngest is infatuated with farts at the moment?!
Yes...folks, I'm raising quite the little lady.

After a full day of school, Addi and Grace had completed homework and joined their baby sister in outdoor play.

Today school included:
*Getting up late
*Missing the bus
*Picture day #2. (You read it correctly. Some one out there was so desperate to further their business that they struck a deal with someone else, that just so happened to work with in the school district...or so I'm assuming because this is the way it normally works. Now we have Spring photos as well as the standard fall shots.)
 I have nothing against picture day #2. As a matter of fact #2 is usually better than #1.
...But come on now!
 Who's brilliant idea was it to schedule it for the first day back after day light savings? 


...Be Prepared.
Kids may exhibit signs of daylight savings time!
These include, but are not limited to:
* erratic behavior
* swollen or sunken eyes
* dark circles under the eyes
* unruly hair
* messy attire, often including sweatpants
* the urge to rest their heads on their desks.

I can't wait to get these photos back.

---Now, Onto After School Antics---

Here's the La La Loopsie bus.
It is my goal to turn Grace and Chloe's bunk bed into a La La Loopsie schoolbus by the end of the week.
Am I crazy?
No.
...Just in way over my head.
I do this to myself all of the time.
It's fun though.
I work well under pressure.
My kids are lovin' this idea!!

Today was warm. Our front yard was turned into an art space in a matter of seconds.
We ditched our shoes and socks, knowing that it's more fun to paint barefoot.
Chloe ditched her skirt.
She knows it's more fun to paint in her underwear!
I spread out three large boards on the lawn and opened up my gallon of interior paint. I tinted it with yellow in order to make the perfect gesso-like primer for a soon-to-be school bus. These will eventually be wrapped around the bunk bed.
Grace was on task. My artist proper, always ready to dive into a project and grab the supplies.
Addi and Chloe were busy flying with umbrellas in the driveway and dressing up the dog.
Our Lightning wasn't thrilled with this, but like a good Labrador he sat through it like a champ.
Gracie and I started out with paint brushes.
DIP..DIP..DIP..DAB..DAB..DAB.
This was tedious.
TIME TO FINGER PAINT.
DUNK... my hand emerged, yellow.
Grace looked at me, puzzled.
She tilted her head to the side as she often does when contemplating.
"Mom, Can I do that too? Am I allowed to stick my hands in the bucket?" (I've been her Mom her entire life..You'd think that she'd know the answer to this by now.)
"OF COURSE!...It's fun to dive in Grace. Art is great neat or messy baby."
She lit up.
She tossed her brush aside and scooped up a glorious gob of pastel paint.
This was heavenly.
I'd do this every day if I could. Time to place this on our top 10 chart of fun stuff to do in the yard.

It didn't take long for my other two lovelies to forget where I was and come searching.
They dove into the pastel bucket as well.
Addi became a mini Jackson Pollock.
She scooped, drizzled and flicked the paint from her fingertips.
There was a visual symphony happening right before my eyes.
Chloe, being more cautious asked about the rules.
"Where should I paint?"
"Do you have a paint brush for me Mom?"
"Can I use my hands too?"

..."OF COURSE BABY."
...MORE SMILES.

I took my cues. It was my time to really play. I wiped my hands on the nearest wad of grass and ran into the house with a quick,"Mommy will be right out!"
I had to get my camera.
Who am I with out a camera to peer through?
Funn...funnnn...FUN!

Our bus was coming to life. The girls understood my plan and were with me.
We painted until the air began to chill.
Our paint covered hands and bare feet were numbing in the evening air.
It was time to get cleaned up.
Bath time tonight... bright yellow paint layer tomorrow.

Getting my trio into the house was a delicate matter. I announced,"Hands up girls. Don't touch a thing. Just reach for the stars and follow Mommy."
Addi, didn't do this. She marches to her own tune at times. She walked ahead with her shoes on. Pale yellow crock prints stained our deep orange deck.
I yelled a quick,"Addi... go into the bathroom fast and don't touch anything!"
I heard..."OK MOM!!"
Then we continued our military march to the bath tub.
I peeled off their sticky clothes and the girls jumped in.
I will miss the day when they that they become modest and refuse to shower together.

I tossed in a load of wash, thought about my little sister (Happy Birthday!), warmed up dinner and listened to my girls laugh and sing in the shower.
It was a perfect day.
...FULL OF SMILES, PAINT AND SUNSHINE.
What could be better?
Here's my sweet, little collection of the day's backyard journey. Enjoy. Smile.

I think she's pretending to fart.


Big smiles rock!

...So does rolling. 
...and Grace's craft box.


...and lessons on learning how to fly.

...sizzling with sister!


...landing.


...and Lightning makes four.

sitting pretty

The old man of the family.

The perfect flier.

Me.

Chloe is pale yellow.



We all let lose!

My little Pollock...

It looks like Grace is painting my toes!

I get to enjoy the view.

My painters in action.

Collaboration is grand!


...so is a view from the top.


...so is smearing.

...and drizzling.


I'm beginning to see it!

It's turning into a bus!

Perfect.


Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment