Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring... Farm Time!

I had made a promise to my children the other evening.
The promise needed to "stick."
It was "stuck" in my children's minds.
It couldn't and wouldn't be broken!

"If the weather was nice out we'll ditch gymnastics and go to the farm."

Those were my words.
It was another beautiful day.
Ninth period Media Class drew to a close.
The bell had rang.
After reading 29 work related e-mails...
...and responding to all that needed my attention.
...and hitting send on my attendance roster...
I BOOKED IT OUTTA THERE!
I bolted for the doors and flew home.
Senior citezens beware!!!
I was worse than a soccer mom on route to the big game.
I wanted to go to the farm as badly as my kids.

I pulled up and saw my girls running through the yard.
They were drenched.
... clad in swimsuits and ruffled ballerina skirts.
As beautiful as the moment was I wasn't in the mood to embrace it.
I had a one track mind at the moment AND PROBABLY SOUNDED PRETTY GRUMPY as I shouted:
"Kids...What's up? Let's get changed! You knew that we were going to the barn as soon as Mama got home. Let's get moving...Go Go Go...Let's get dry!"

They looked at me as I walked up the driveway...
Their faces showed instant recognition.
---That's right...The barn! ... They were off and running...Julia was right beside them Saying," Come on girls let's get dry."

I slowed up, reminding myself to break out of high school mode and back into family mode...took mental note: I was not allowed to be a Spring downer when everyone was happily enjoying the warm weather in our own yard. I chatted with my kids about the fun that they were having.

They were super excited to be squishy and wet.
Super excited to be shoeless.
Overjoyed to be in skirts rather than pants...
...and loving the fact that Addi was in attack mode with a super soaker!
Even the dog was wet. Streaks of water had left lines in his fur.

My addition was: "Let's go have more fun!"

Julia came into the kitchen and told me all about how the kids had come home from school wondering if they were going to gymnastics or not. She hadn't given them a definite answer. My answer. (in my head...not out loud) Don't doubt me. If I say we'll do something... we'll do it.
Out Loud I said something like,"It's nice out. So of course we're not going to gymnastics. We're going to the barn. Do you want to come?"

Julia, au pair extraordinaire truly is wonderful. She loves to be with the girls and has more patience than Jim and I combined. Sometimes I wonder if she's human. Could she be a gentle au pair robot?
However, there are some things that only experience and parenthood can prepare you for.
Like:
*Sometimes it's ok to stray from your own rules...especially if it will avoid a tantrum. (this rule does not apply to babysitters. Always listen to the parent rules.)
*The couch is an acceptable place to sleep on a school night... especially if a child is wrestless. or chasing monsters in their heads. (we all need sleep)
*Homework comes first. (True...as much as I hate sounding like a "Mom"...I am one.)
...Please remember that this rule can be bent. If the homework has been defined as easy by your child and can be done within 5 minutes in the morning! (I've skipped HW for the beach before...can you blame me?)
*It really is OK to bribe your kid. (whoever deemed this a "no-no" obviously, was not a parent. Just watch out for toy traps set by wise children. Dates with Mom and Dad make great bribes and we all love them.)
This could go on forever!!!  I don't want to bore you. Soooo...
---Here's The Best One---
*ALWAYS- I REPEAT- ALWAYS- Stay away from questions that will give you a YES or NO answer.
For example: Do you want a turkey sandwich for lunch?
Answer: No.
...Lesson>>> Give multiple choice answers. This allows your child to maintain a sense of control over their destiny. You have "reverse psychologied" your kid. Are they in control?...NO. Do they feel in control?...YES! ...proud and happy and confident...while attaining decision making skills. (I'm talking about the kids here.) What they don't know is that all of the choices have been predestined by you!! They are all  A-O-K- with Mom or the current grown up in charge.
>>>Live and learn.

Enough of that.



We saw lamas.
I saw students?! (yes...They are everywhere...even jogging through barnyards!)
We fed goats, sheep and a really cute cow!
There were balancing acts in the farmyard and rockers to be rocked in.
We enjoyed the newfound Spring weather.
I of course, clicked away...camera in hand.
Then I remembered to stop being the person on the other side of the lens.
I put the camera away.
It was time to just BE.





After that we abandoned the car...
...deciding that it needed some extra barn time and we needed some pizza!
The five of us walked down the road to one of our favorite Main Street pizza places,
Nina's.
What could be better than outdoor seating in March?
This is rare in New York so we took advantage of it.
The girls ordered their food and colored their kiddie matts.
Chloe, tired after a day in the sun and a long walk was shot.
The sun began to fade over the horizon and so did her good mood!
Chlo Chlo was tired and cold.
She wanted to leave but no one else did.
They were hungry.
They weren't done coloring.
I, on the other hand, saw the expressions of the faces at the other table.
We were destroying their dinner.
TIME TO GO.
I asked for the food to become a take out order.
NO PROBLEM.
The waitress seemed happy that we were leaving too.
We must have been ruining her chance for a good tip.
Addi and Grace stayed with Julia at the pizza place while I piggy backed sleepy, whining Chloe to the barn yard and our car.
QUICK POTTY BREAK IN THE BARN.
Then off we went.
Everyone was happy again.
We ended our day with great food...served at home.
...with me as server.
...as usual!
Warm showers for all followed.
...and a snuggle session on the couch while we watched our favorite family tv show.






Life is good!








No comments:

Post a Comment