Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Victories Big and Small

Here it is.
I'm writing this for the world to read.
After two decades...
My husband still has a certain kind of "power" over me.
It's not creepy,
It's not freaky,
It's a good thing.
...actually, it's a great thing!

After all of these years I can look at my guy and still feel like a blushing school girl.
YES.
My guy turns me ON.
Call me "dork."
Say, "Yeah, right."
I don't care.
...because, God, I love this man.

Did I mention that I think my husband is a hottie?!
Okay, folks. I'm sorry that I've regressed into a hormonal teenager. But I can't help it. Maybe it's one of the reasons that our relationship has survived, as many of our friends have gone the way of the
 "BIG-D."

We are far from perfect. But here we are.

I had a stranger on a plane (*Note to Self: Look up "Stranger on a Plane." I think it's a movie...could be useful for teaching.) notice my rings and ask me if I was married.
...Don't ask.
This is a new blog in itself!
These things happen to me all of the time.
I'm a magnet for "odd balls" and overly confident men.

It gets rather annoying.

... back to the original tale.

I answered,"Yes. Happily with three kids."...then, politely smiled and went back to pushing my carry on  in overhead storage.
His question in return," I'm not married, but curious. How do you do it?...stay together for so long. It's got to be hard."

Ok...I'm a fool.
I was momentarily suckered in by a stranger.
No harm done.
I wasn't getting into a car or taking candy.

My response,"I don't know. We just do."
The "stranger" gave me an odd look. He was staring at me, obviously expecting more.
"My husband and I have learned that we'll never understand our relationship or anyone else's. It's part of the beauty and charm of it all. We wake up each morning knowing that we are in it together. That's enough for us."

He liked this response.
Smiled my way and said," That's rather ZEN of you. Very wise."
I thanked him, grabbed my seat and newest "read" and the flight continued.
First I sat thinking about the girls.
...Our babies that I had left behind in cold, wintery, New York.

Now, after arriving at my destination. I sit here in West Palm Beach...

NOT GETTING TAN.

NOT ON A BEACH.

I'm wearing a rather feminine dress suit, complete with navy blue blazer and am flanked by senior citizens and strangers, also in suits. My rear end is planted, uncomfortably on a plank-board, school-house style bench. I'm in a Florida courthouse. Am I upset about this? Am I in any legal trouble?
NO.
I'm thrilled to be here!
My husband's colleague's approach me...
"Why aren't you shopping? There's great shopping here."
"How could you ladies (myself and my mother-in-law) stand to be here?"
"How come you're not at the beach? You should go to the beach!"
"Do you really want to be here, in court?"

These were only a few of their questions.
My responses:

"I want to be here."
"I'm not a big shopper."
"I can swim anytime."
"I love this stuff."

You see...
It's rare that I ever get to see my husband in the role of attorney. I can't wait to watch as my guy interrogates witnesses confidently (tearing them apart, I might add), for the sake of his client, a sweet, good natured, widow who had been taken advantage of by an insurance agency (this is purely my opinion).

Did I mention how good Jim, I mean James (need to be formal...in court) looked?!
He was amazing!
...and yes, hot!
...and yes, mine!
I usually play the role of teacher. I always play the part of Mom. At this moment I was the proud spouse of the winning attorney. My very own"Jimmy Stewart" straight out of Mr.Smith Goes to Washington, according to the female jurors.
Jim was so thrown off by this unusual compliment that he went into "research mode" and spent an evening watching old James Stewart clips! He still doesn't see any resemblance or similarity in mannerisms. I do though. It must be a chick thing.

I no longer felt guilty about my mini get away.

Did I mention that Chloe went to the dentist while we were gone?
She had an emergency tooth extraction!
...a baby molar was pulled out.
This was a huge surprise!
I reminded myself that she was in very capable hands. I did my "mommy best"...
...from another state.
I spoke to Chloe, gave her a pep talk. We talked about how lucky she was that the tooth fairy was coming early! (I think it worked! I found out later that the dentist used that angle as well.)
I consulted with my Mom, with Julia, with my friend Rachel (she was doing check ins for us).
I even talked with the dentist himself. He reassured me that everything was routine and would be fine.

I DID NOT FEEL GUILTY.

WHO AM I KIDDING?!
OF COURSE I DID!
Jim and I both felt awful. We agreed that we had done all that we could do long distance. We were not allowed to mope. 
It was time to celebrate! ...Jim had won!...Victory was ours!
Hooray for adult time! Ruth's Chris here we come! 


Call me cold.
Say that I'm not a good Mom.
I say...This is the closest thing to a couples getaway that we've had in nine years. 
Time to live it up with my honey.

We are looking forward to that lovely king sized bed with it's over stuffed pillows and a good night's sleep.


When we get home we'll have a family date night. Maybe even a date day too. If Chloe has it her way we will never leave her side again.
After all we did abandon them...
according to the kids, that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment