Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Girl Scouts, Groceries, Meltdowns and Lightning...the Saga Continues.

After a morning and afternoon that could have gone smoother I had an evening that was anything but perfect.

Addi had Girl Scouts. That meant that I was on pick up duty. I needed to be at the school by 3:45  promptly.
I mean PROMPT!
These three, yes, three troop leaders mean business.
Phone calls will be made and apologies expected if arrival is not made in a timely fashion.

I am usually there at 3:45.
Ready to sign my fourth grader out.
Parents are no longer allowed to "pick up."
We need to sign receipts in order to claim our children.

Addi was baggage being stored by an institution. (one that I like a lot so it was o.k.)
What a world...what a cruel, cruel world.

I arrived in the school lobby by the designated time.
Addison was waiting patiently on a bench.
She sat alone. There weren't any other kids.

What is going on here?
This isn't normal.
How am I the last one at pick up when I'm on time?!
This is not cool.
I remember the waiting game.
Those moments spent wondering where, oh where, could Mom be?
Has she forgotten?...
Doesn't she care?...
Those...Oh, No ...Not again, Mom moments...


This is not something that I have ever wanted my kids to endure.
Have you picked up on the fact that this is one of my traumas from childhood?

This is not intended to be passed on.

I gave a triple quick room scan:

-No kids except mine and the lone troop leader's.

Again, not normal. Why weren't they in the class room doing "Girl Scouty" things?


-Addi was smiling.


WAIT...


-Addison was happy!

Oh well...I wasn't wasting my time on it. Addi was happy. We were outta there.

CRISIS AVERTED...NEXT GENERATION IS SAFE FOR THE MOMENT...

I was cruising down our street, when I noticed Addi looking pitiful.
I asked what was wrong?
Addi said,"I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I don't want you to be upset with me. But, Mom...I don't want to go home."

Ok...I thought no big deal.
Addi continued: Why don't we ever have time together with out my sisters? Just us? We never do that anymore. (she was looking super sad)
Me: Add, why would I be mad at that? I'm not mad. Sometimes we don't have time for "dates." There are three kids and only one Mom. We will again. We've just been busy.

--Not good enough.


Addi: Can't we just go somewhere? Anywhere? With out my sisters? How about Trader Joe's? They have good stuff there, food that we like.

---Smart kid. I smiled, knowing full well that she really didn't want to go grocery shopping. My little girl was just that in need of mommy time.


Me: Trader Joe's? Really? Ok. We can pick out something good for dinner tonight. We'll go now.

Addi: (shocked and smiling...straightening up her posture) Really?! Can I pick something out? Let's get Slurpees too! Then maybe we can go to the toy store.

Now she was pushing it. I didn't even need to go shopping. I just wanted to make my little girl smile. I was exhausted, craving my couch. 


I said,"No. Just Trader Joe's and then home." I reminded Addi that her sisters needed some Mom time too.

She accepted it.

There we were grocery shopping together. Addi was happy as could be. This was proof that small gestures mean a whole lot.

She journeyed to the back table. ---Sampling Kung Pow chicken (I think) and pomegranate juice.
She asked the guy a few questions and reported back to me with two more samples. One for each of us.
---such a thoughtful kid.

We grabbed some of our favorite dinner items and I let her pick out snacks for school.
We headed to the check out area and were rung up.
Time to go home. My little ones, the couch and the Voice await.
I reached into my wallet for my trusty debit card,
OH NO!
IT WASN'T THERE...
I HAD LEFT IT IN MY COAT.
...The one that I wore to DC, which was in my weekend bag.
...nowhere near here.
...way back at home.

Ok...the average person might say "No big deal. Charge it."

NOT ME>
I've made it my mission not to use my credit cards.
I never even carry them anymore.
With $95.00 in groceries bagged, $20 in my purse and long line building behind me I wasn't sure what to do.
I hesitated.
...and explained the predicament to the cashier.
She was very pleasant and told me that she'd put the groceries on hold and to come back. They'd be waiting for me.

OK. I didn't know that this was possible. I've never had to put groceries on hold before!! This was seriously embarrassing!

None of this phased my daughter. She was pissed when I told her to put her chocolate bar back in the grocery bag because it wasn't ours yet.
-A natural kid response. I'd be upset too.

"Huh?...Why?? You got it for me. Mom...I just want to carry it."

"Addi. (gritting my teeth and trying to whisper) I forgot my card. We have to leave everything and go get it, then come back."

"I don't get it. Just use another one Mom."

"Addi...Let's go. I don't have another one with me."

"So use your money. Don't you have any money?"

Oh, dear God...Please quiet my child. I wished that I could put my hand over her mouth and push her out the exit. Instead my palm rested on her shoulder and nudged her forward. 


She questioned me en route...

"Can't you go back and get our food now?"
"Isn't there money in the car to use?"
"When are you going to get it?"
"Do we have to go shopping all over again?"
"Mom, I really wanted that chocolate. Can I really have it later?"
"Can't you go to the bank instead of home? I don't want to get my sisters."

Oh Addison! I wished that I had earplugs or a fog machine to give the illusion that I had vanished.

I answered all of Add's questions...like always.
I've taught the kids that it's important to question and now it was kicking me in the butt while I was down.

We drove home and sang to the music. I grabbed my debit card. We grabbed Grace and Chloe, swapped the Trailblazer for the Caravan and were on our way to rescue the groceries that were being held for ransom.

CHLOE WAS NOT IN A GOOD MOOD.
GRACE HAD BEGGED TO STAY WITH JULIA.
THIS WAS NOT GOING TO END WELL.

The groceries were waiting for us somewhere in the land of Trader Joe's.
The woman cashier was no where to be found.
The dude that I was telling the tale to looked utterly perplexed.
He scratched his head and said that he'd be right back.
Fifteen minutes later..after Chloe begged me for chocolate, green tea mints, organic licorice, lemonade and a sample from the back table...he was back...pushing our cart.
Now the guy had to figure out how to re-enter the receipt.

The line grew longer once again.
People stared.
Chloe begged.
Gracie asked for chocolate politely, taking the calmer, more respectable route.
Both the whining and the polite kid got what they wanted.
Sorry to Grace...You're self control will win out in the end some day baby.
I would have bought a puppy to keep them hushed at this point.


Once home I gave our poor, attention starved dog affection. Three out of four of us decided that Lightning needed to go for a walk. Chloe was the "odd chickie out."

She wanted to ride her bike...not walk.
She complained that "her legs would get tired trying to go fast like bigger people."

I said...No because it was going to be getting late...Too late to ride.

Lightning, Addi and Gracie were ready to go.
Our pup was harnessed and excited.
Chloe on the other hand refused to move.

So I said,"Then you'll have to stay home, in the driveway , by yourself."

...thinking that she wouldn't allow that.


WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!


...Why do my kids continue to prove me wrong?


Chloe said,"Fine then...GO!" (stomped her foot, crossed her arms, and turned her back to me)

THIS WAS A DUEL.

We are stubborn people. This was going nowhere fast.

The tribe moved on with out us.
I began to sllloooooowwwly move down the road.
Chloe didn't care.
She stood in front of the neighbor's house, crying, with arms crossed.
I held the dog's leash and tried to keep him from pulling me too far away.
Lightning is an 85 lb. lab and not an easy walker.
He's a great tugger!
I would have carried Chloe had I not needed both arms to hold onto him.
Chloe followed ten paces behind....making me nervous when I turned corners and lost her from view.
At one point I stood behind a perked Caravan, peering around the corner with Lightning, waiting for her, hoping that she wouldn't see me...and would keep moving.
My neighbors must all think that we are a total mess!
She cried the entire way around the block.

Grace commented:

"She deserves a time out. You're not supposed to act this way. This is a very rude way to be. Lightning is such a good dog. He deserves a walk and now Chloe is ruining it."

Chloe overheard this and cried louder! --"Am not!!!"

I kindly asked Grace "not to worry, that I'd handle it, everybody has bad days. This was Chloe's."
(and mine)


We ate Trader Joe's tasty, Chicken and rice with edamame on the side. I thought that it was going to be on the table by 5:30 not 7:30...
I found out why Chlo Chlo was such a grump. She sat on the floor complaining about her leg and foot itching. I took a look. She had an allergic reaction to something. Her ankles and right foot were red, puffy and scratched raw. I grabbed the after bite hoping that it'd help. It made things worse. Chlo cried saying that it burned her skin. I put a cold cloth on her puffier foot and had her take a dose of Benadryll.

Looks like there may be a pediatrician visit after kindergarten.
I'm soooo done for the night. Pajama time!!!
--Nope, not yet.---
Addi came walking in. Her head ached, stomach was hurting and her neck was in pain.
When did this start?!
Addi began to cry. I heated up, what Jim calls,"the smelly, pink thing." Four minutes in the microwave.
DING!
She wouldn't go near it because it smelled.
I tried to explain that is was lavender, a nice flower and meant to be relaxing. She didn't want anything to do with it.
At this point I wanted it!
I wrapped "the smelly thing" around my neck. I was getting some kind of relief one way or another.
Now two out of three are headed to the doctor.
Our little brick house, Miss. Grace should be fine.
She always is.


Where is my couch?

Where is a glass of wine?

Where is my husband?

Can Calgon take me away now???


Oh, well...S@#T happens...

I rarely curse.You've just gotten two out of four "S" Bomb letters from me! That's a big deal in Billie Land. Proof that this has stressed me out and made me cranky.

It's 8:30pm and three, beautiful, little girls are fast asleep on our lumpy, brown couch. Bed time!
I had decided to abandon the actual beds tonight.
I'll pop open a bottle of wine. Pour myself a glass and squish in between the kids.
Jim will walk in the door five minutes later.

Chloe, drawing...before the melt down.
He'll think that I've been eating bon bons all night.

Gracie, checking out the world through rose colored glasses. 

Note To Self: Never, I repeat...never leave with ATM card and a back up credit card again!












No comments:

Post a Comment