Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Urgent Medical Care, Strong Will and Aunt Marnee!

My Mom tells me that my girls are doing" exactly what we used to do when we were little, well what Marnee tried to do."

I laughed a little when Marn's name was tossed into the remark.

What was this kid thing that kids do?

According to Mom, whenever any of us were home from school, sick, the others faked illness.
Totally normal.
Don't we want our kids to mimic the Three Musketeers?...
"One for all and all for one!"
Apparently, my youngest sister had the game down pat.

Mom said that "Mondays were popular with Marnee." That it got to a point where she was out at least once a week.

I thought to myself...That's a lot more than playing sick because Em or I were home! We weren't home that much! Sorry Mom, Marn was really pulling a fast one.


Luckily none of my girls have gotten this bad. I wouldn't be able to afford it if they did!

Gracie is home today with Strep Throat.
Not fun at all.
I know for a fact that my middle darling would rather be at school.

Something very funny...that will hit this point home:

While at the Urgent Medical Center on  Sunday, (because normal doctor's office's are shut down) the doctor on staff tried to prove a point to my unruly child.

She wasn't being cooperative at all...
...fighting the throat swab test with every ounce of her six year old body.

Two nurses, five calm conversations and a howling scream that echoed through the medicenter later...
...the doctor came back.
He was determined to get the job done, not knowing that he was messing with an equally determined kid.

The doctor, who was very patient...started like this:

"Now Grace, I hope that you are paying attention to what your Mom has said to you. It's important. We only want to help. Do you understand that sometimes, in order to get better...instead of worse that you need to listen. It's very important to listen to the nurses and doctors."

Grace nodded a yes and glared a squinty, skunk eyed stare his way.

He kept going.

"Sometimes a little bit of pain keeps a lot of sickness from coming".

MASS CONFUSION...Gracie looked at me. Huh????

He went on...

"You don't get that."

Gracie: No

Doctor: How about this... A shot only hurts for a second but it's a good thing because it can keep you from becoming very sick for a long time.

Grace looked at me...Her expression read, I'm not buying this crap.

Me: That's right. Listen to the doctor honey. No one wants you to be sick babe.

Grace: Am I getting a shot?! I want to go home!

Doctor: No..no,no shots. Only this small swab test.

Grace: But that really hurts. I don't want want to. It hurts a lot!

Me: But only for a little while and then it's better, just like when you fall or stub your toe.

Grace: That hurts too!

Doctor: Let me put it this way (losing patience but trying to play it cool) Do you listen to your teacher?

Grace nodded YES.

Doctor: There are times when your teacher expects you to take tests. There will be days when she says that you have to take a math test. You might not want to do it...but you do...because the teacher needs to see how bright you are and give you a mark.

I'm thinking...bad example. Wrong kid.

Grace: I don't care about tests. I like love math and I like tests! I'm good at them. I love school. I don't love this. (looking at me pitifully) It hurts a lot. I won't let them. Mom, I want to go home.

Me: We will baby, we just need this test done and then we can go home.

Doctor: It looks like that was a bad choice. Wrong kid for this one. (shaking his head in disbelief.)

HE HAD FAILED>

I apologized for my rather clever, strong willed child.
The doctor had given up and wrote a prescription for the strep throat that he was assuming she suffered from.
NO TEST
GOT THE MEDS
Grace was feverish and needed to go home.

She shouldn't have won this battle.
There was only one lesson learned here:
When in doubt scream, yell and talk back. You'll get your way.
I was disappointed with the fact that the doctor had given up.
I know that he didn't want to spend all day arguing with a feverish first grader though.
SHE WOULD HAVE ONE EVERY TIME.
I think he knew that.

I know it's kind of wrong, but...
I am proud of the strength that she possesses.
Gracie is articulate and passionate.
Again, I say it...Jim and are in trouble!

Our little girl has been home for two days and not liking it.
Addison, on the other hand has been pulling every trick in the book to stay home too!
Tummy ache.
Head ache.
Achy legs.
...even achy arms!

I sent her to school.
I'm hoping that she takes after her Aunt Marnee.
Wink...Wink.



No comments:

Post a Comment