Sunday, May 20, 2012

Holy Star of the Week...We Made It!!

"Am I star of the week yet?!"

This, my friends, has been the BIG question ALL WEEK, every minute, every hour, all day and night.
Chloe has been waitning the entire kindergarten school year for it's arrival.
This was her moment as shining star of the A.M. Kindergarden class.
Many other stars have shone.
Now, it was her turn...
...or was it?

Chloe is literal...
You call it Star of the Week and she wants to be that star all week.
It was not called Star of Friday.

Live and Learn.

Somehow, Grace managed to be the star for the entire week last year!
If you know my Grace, you know that it is possible for her to captivate an audience, demand their undying love...
...and actually get it!

My advice to Grade K teachers around the globe:
When you "hype" up an event and get a five year olded "amped up" please be VERY specific as to what will be happening.
Don't leave the quiet, polite kids hangin'...waiting on cue for their moment to shine.
Believe me when I say my Chlo Chlo would have kept her bag packed for a month, with the hope that the teacher would some day remember that it needed to be unpacked, never uttering a word until asked or told.

Chloe is shy.
How a shy girl bloomed in my family tree, I will never know.
She is our sweetie pie.
Chloe Chlo has the heart of the bravest lion and the voice of a fuzzy, little lamb.

Beginning last Thursday Jim and I have been asked the same questions on repeat:

"Are you coming to school for my star of the week?"
"When is my star of the week?"
"In the morning, will it be my star of the week?"

If the teachers don't call it Friday Star I'm renaming it in my house!

Our Monkey is also a patient little soul....thankfully.
It would be quite a different blog if this were happening to either of her sisters.
I'm laughing, thinking about the imaginary scenes that would play out! Patience would not be involved.

She made it through the week after carrying her three favorite toys and favorite book in her back pack EVERY DAY.

Chloe's bag must've weighed an additional five pounds, which is a ton when you weigh 42!
She wasn't about to risk being unprepared when "her moment" came.
Have I described my youngest daughter as "a trooper" before?
...Well, you get it.

This morning Jim and I were reminded to be at the school.
Chloe was ready for the bus in a flash and out the door, weighted down by her bag, which now had one more book in it.
With every passing day something new has been thrown in.
Jim took the day off for the "Big Event."
Chloe had made him nervous. Jim, in a half sleep mumbled,"When do I have to be at the star thing for Chlo?"
I kissed him, said bye and spewed his orders at him.

The morning rush drew to an abrupt end and were were all in place.
I stared at the school clock, counting down the minutes until "Star Time".
The ending bell for my class rings at 9:28, giving me 2 (yes 2 minutes) to run to my car, start it up, cruise down the road, turn left, then right and into the lot of the elementary school.
Next step is signing in and running down the hall to the classroom (bad teachers, but good mamas run!), but that doesn't count in the timeline. Once you're in the building the Mama clock stops.
 ---According to my rules anyway.

I pulled into the lot and saw Jim's truck.
What a good soldier boy.
Daddy Dude rules!
At least one of us would be on time...It was 9:33.


The class was sitting pretzel legged (old school "Indian Style"...that's not PC anymore) in a huge oval, on the carpet. Chloe sat center stage with her Dad on the left and her teacher on the right.
She took one look at me and smiled.
My mania subsided.
I could breathe now.
The teacher announced my presence and pulled me up a chair, next to Chloe Oh.

Jim had just finished reading Chloe's favorite book: Alice the Fairy.
Kids looked happy all around.

Note To Self: Ask about story time. I am the designated storyteller of the family due to Jimbo's inability to speak in character and his ability to speed read. I wonder if he made fairy and kid voices?! Did the kids even understand him?
There I go, laughing to myself again! This should be good!

I made it for the All About Chloe Poster and Show and Tell.
We also had a fire drill smack, daub in the middle.
Here's the great thing about the little guys...They thought that this was the coolest thing in the world!

"Now Chloe had the best Star of the Week!"
"Everybody gets to see your Mom and Dad, Chloe!"
"Chloe's parents are going too?! Wow!"
"You get to meet the man in charge...He's the boss and tells us when we are good. (the principal)

...Then Chloe told us about all of the kids that were bad!
We know the Grade "K' run down down...good, bad and ugly.
They don't hold anything back!
Cute comments sang out and excited kids were hushed by their teachers.
Chloe walked quietly and proudly, holding both our hands tightly, Mommy and Daddy on display for all of the school to see...even the Principal.
It was absolutely adorable.
Jim and I helped usher the kids back in.
I don't know how the teacher does it...Yes, I know...i am a teacher too...but not of little guys!
--Totally different!
--The big guys kinda know to do on their own.
This teacher truly herds baby sheep.
I was sooo impressed.
I love knowing that our girls are in such good hands.

We finished up the poster talk. Everyone learned all about Chloe's favorite things and then got to see  photos of her.

--Big mistake telling me that "she could bring in as many pictures as she wanted."
Chloe picked 55!
Of course..I let her bring them all in too.
Chloe talked a little bit about all of "the stuff" and was allowed to take questions.
It must have been fun for little sister to be in charge
This was the 25 minutes that she had waited for the whole year.
I know she loved it with all of her heart.
It was written all over her face.
We loved it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment