Sunday, May 6, 2012

Thunder & Lightning...the Real Deal!

 This was a dew drop on a flower after the storm.
5:20 AM...

Bammm! BAM! CRACK!!!CRACK! CRACK!!! BAM!


There was a light show in the hallway...
A heavy metal band played...
The mosh pit grew fierce...


WAIT.
WHY WAS THERE A MOSH PIT IN MY LIVING ROOM?!


GET OFF OF MY COUCH!!
..Hey, No standing on the furniture!!


CRASH!CRASH!BUBUBUBAMMM!! CRACK!


I had flashes of pop culture run through my mind in a milisecond...
Old episodes of Batman...AUDIO BUBBLES everywhere!


BAMM! WHACK!! THUD!! KA-POW!!!


They cleared quickly.
They weren't the right sounds for the moment.
The cracking came back fiercer than before.


My body jerked upward.
I was in a sleepy haze...


Something was wrong.


My "Spidey Senses" were tingling.

Wimpering from the hall. 
Crying.
Two voices searching for their parents...

"Mommm.... Daaaaad? Where am I? Where are you?"
"I'm scared."

I stumbled out of bed, a bit confused. 
What time was it? What's going on?

Quick...head count!
Addi...standing in hall = 1
Chloe....with Jim= 2
Gracie...
Where is Gracie?
I put my arm around Addi as I continued down the hall..."Baby, go sleep in my room. I'll be right there."

Addi: Not a sound, drugged from a half sleep state...She walked back to bed.

I checked the hall again..Nope.
Jim scooped Chloe up in the hallway. She was terrified...holding her "nigh-night" with a death grip.
She grabbed onto her Daddy with the same amount of force. 

Jim: What happened Chlo Chlo? Are you scared of the storm?
Chloe: (head resting on his shoulder, nods a yes) I wanna come with you.

They held eachother tightly.
---Such a tender moment.
The dim, amber glow of the bathroom light combined with the flashes of lightning bursting through the blinds enhanced the pure, beauty of the moment.

I thought of my camera for a split second.
Crazy woman!
My mind raced back to Grace.
Was she scared and hiding?

I peeked into their bedroom.
No sign of her.

WAIT.

I climbed up two ladder rungs.
Little Grace was buried under her blankets...
...fast asleep.

How did she sleep through this?
Amazing!

I hopped off the bunk ladder, not feeling the need to be quiet.
She had already slept through part of "the Storm of the Year."- No way was this going to wake her!

Jim stood in the hall, holding tight to our still frightened Chloe.
He soothed her with kisses on the head and soft words.

REALITY CHECK---

Jim had been on route to the shower.
I heard the water running.

I thought I'd help him out. I reached for Chloe.
Her arms willingly stretched toward mine.

"Come here baby. Let's go sleep in Mommy and Daddy's room."
Jim: Hey, I was enjoying my Chloe time.
Me: Sorry. I thought you needed to shower.

I think he said "OK" but I'm honestly not sure.
I walked down the hall again, back to our room.
Addi was snuggled next to Jim!

WAIT.
How did this happen?!
Was the running water just rain?

I really was tired.
It was all jumbled up in my memory.
But there they were. Fast asleep. Chloe and I climbed in next to them.

A few more good, cracks thundered.
I heard noise down the hall.

Back and forth I go!
One more time.

Gracie was sitting upright in her bed.

Grace:What's going on?

Me: Nothing babe. Just a Spring storm...a big one. Are you okay?

Grace: Yeah. I thought I heard something in my dream so I got up. Can I go back to bed or is it school now?

Me: (thinking that she was the cutest kid ever) No honey...not yet. Go back to sleep.

There was no need to even say it. Grace was already covered, eyes shut tightly.

By 6:oo am I was on my way back to sleep, surprised by the reactions of my children.
Was it that bad of a storm?
They typically love thunder and lightning.
It must have been that bad indeed.
My mind is playing tricks on me...Those who are wrestled out of sleep find themselves searching for reality. That was me.
Jim got up a few minutes later. I drifted out of sleep as he tried to carry on a conversation. He asked me if his tie "worked" with his shirt. I said "YES."
Now that I try and focus in on the fuzzy details, I think that I should have said,"NO."
I am curious to see what he wore today when he walks in the door tonight.
I'll keep you posted!






No comments:

Post a Comment