Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cellos, Anxiety and Missing Movies.

Yesterday's cello adventure with my 9 year old led us to the pediatrician today. Addi woke up super soar and hopping all over our little house on her "good" leg. My husband and I decided that it would be insane to force her to bunny hop all over school today. She was embarrassed enough because she had been pushed out of the building in a wheelchair the day before. Any self respecting nurse would surely think us nuts and send the kid home asap. So our  fantabulous au pair, whom Jim has lovingly nicknamed Julio was stuck with a not so sick 4th grader. I felt sorry for her, meaning Julia, before I even told her the news. She was going to be working hard for her money. Addi isn't the type of kid to sit still long and typically hurts herself while attempting anything remotely athletic. The "cello incident" is the perfect example of my oldest daughter's uncontrollable limbs. I keep reminding myself that she'll someday grow into her long legs. Until that happens I'm left crossing my fingers and praying. Oh...Have I told you that my house is slowly being converted in a gym?! Feel free to register for classes at the bottom of my blog site!! We have a treadmill and elliptical, with a full range of free weights downstairs. But even better...our facilities have recently expanded. Jim has added a chin up bar to enhance the ambiance of the living room. It belongs to him 10 percent of the time and to the 3 monkeys that we call girls the other 90! Again, fingers crossed  for Addi!

Before continuing with Addi's story I need tell more about my day. You see, I woke up this morning knowing that at 11 am I would be in a place that I barely knew, allowing someone that I barely knew to cut a chunk of flesh away from my body. Of course that someone happened to be a trained physician but none the less this whole idea seemed outrageous. Thoughts ran through my head all night:

"Will it hurt?" "Does this guy really know what he's doing?" "My body is my temple...WTF?!" "I've seen his work before...hmmm...need to let him know that I'll be watching him!" "This doctor had better take his time with me." "Am I crazy?!" "Remember Billie...having scars is far better than having Cancer." "I'm a wimp!!!" "Snap out of it woman. You've had 3 kids without drugs. This should be a walk in the park.""Crap. I'm going to have a panic attack in his office."

I went through the usual morning routine. Quick, run around the house like a fool. Lunches Packed:check. Coffee Brewing:ALMOST.  Eggs cooking?: CRAP..no eggs. FIND KID HAPPY SUBSTITUTE Toaster Strudels!!... in toaster. Coffee?!: check. Clean Underwear/Clothes: ON BED....on body? check. Wearing Black? (don't ask...work thing): check. UHH-OH almost 7! Almost Kiddie wake up. CRAP. CRAP. CRAP. Once the kids get up I get nothing done for myself.

 In the next 2 min. Applied make up, packed my salad and poured a cup of coffee to go w/an extra thermos of coffee to take the edge off at 10 am. DONE...7:01 Wake up kids. Yay! 2 of 3 are up and moving on their own. No prompting. Very rare. Like seeing pigs fly.

Addison was on the couch. Happy as could be knowing that she had a day of leisure ahead. No t.v. of course. What kind of Mom would I be if staying home from school was fun? Chloe was ready 10 min before Grace and tried to run out of the house. She must beat the other neighborhood kids to the bus stop every day. It is her morning mission. But wait, Mom didn't get a kiss! Chloe is a sweet soul. She came back in to give her Mama love. These are the moments to cherish. Once Gracie knows that Chloe is close to being out the door her "can't let little sister out do me" instincts kick in and she hustles. Today Grace spent 5 extra minutes in front of her vanity brushing her hair and she still beat Chloe to the bus stop. It was all my fault today. Chlo Chlo was pissed! I heard her utter a loud"Oh no!!" as I ran down the driveway to my car shouting out last minute "To Do's" in Julia's direction. Did she understand me? Who knows? All that matters is that everyone is close to healthy and where they should be...minus Addi.

I made it to school only to find that the film that I was intending to show to my students was nothing but an empty case! Foiled again!! - At that moment Pete walks in...I show him the box and being the great  friend and colleague that he is he offers to lend me his copy. I thank him profusely and we make plans to get 9 am sushi. (early lunch? whatever. It's healthy.)  Pete's back with the film. It's mine!!! It has my name all over it. He gives it to me as we both wonder what the hell happened to HIS copy! Now Pete has an empty case. I check my sub plans for the day and make sure that there is a substitute in place for my afternoon classes. I have a hot date with a surgeon to remove highly abnormal cells. I would much rather be teaching. I'm so scared. Child birth no problem. Walking over hot coals. I'll try it. My feet will heal. Cutting part of me out...Why< Why< Why? Remind me again...that it's good for me. I'm not a lizard. My parts don't grow back. I teach a section of photo, then a section of film crit. My chairperson walks in to take over and I hustle out the door. I yell a quick "Goodbye/ pay attention to the details!" to my students.

I made it to the dermo's on time. They injected me. I asked the doctor over 20 questions. He answered them all. This is why I like him! You see, I've never broken a bone. I've never even had a single stitch before. This is all new to me. I am medically boring. Or at least I was. Now I have a history. It really wasn't that bad. Jim laughed at me and warned me that it wouldn't be that bad. He was right. He usually is. Yes, honey. You were right again. By 12:30 I was out the door and on the phone with Julia to see how Addi's leg was. It was still sore so I called our pediatrician. I called Julia again. "Quick. Tell Addi to get dressed! The doctor wants to see her by 1:45." - and I'm off and running again.

Chloe desperately wanted to come for a ride with us. The three of us were off to see the doctor. I piggy backed Addison a block when her leg began to hurt from constant hopping. This is no small fete. I am 5 foot 4 and 124 lbs. My child is up to my chin and weighs 75 lbs. We must have been quite the suburban sight. Addi was amazing though. She's never cooperative at the doctor's office. He has had to follow her out  his front door and onto his lawn in order to lure her back into the office before. Maybe my fears are rubbing off on her? Great I screwed up one of my daughters again! Anyway, Addi has a sprain and will be hopping for a few days. However, she was suddenly cured by the doc's healing hands. Addison was trying her best to prove that she was fine so that I'd let her have a friend sleepover. She was dancing and even attempted to jump up and grab the pull up bar. "NO." was the answer and I was the "worst Mom" for the next 10 minutes. -I'm so glad that hard feelings don't last long when you're nine.

All of this and it was barely 3pm. We still had to pick my sister up at the train station and host a sleepover! How did Calgon take women away? Did they drink it? Must try. Just kidding.



No comments:

Post a Comment