Thursday, February 2, 2012

When Cellos Attack!

I thought that things would be back on track today. Once again...I was wrong. There is never a dull moment when you are a working mom with three school aged kids. Every morning "Daddy" rides the train and all of "the girls," me included are off and running to school. They have to catch a yellow bus and I catch traffic from all of the buses headed exactly where I need to go. I am now the Queen of the Back Roads. Who am I kidding...I've been that Queen since before teaching and before kids. People in a rush to get to their destinations scare me. Back roads feel safer. This morning those roads were too safe. I spent 2/3 of my commute ...the whole whopping 2 miles...stuck behind, u guessed it..a student driver! And I thought that this morning had been smooth. HaHaha! - It took every strong bone in my body to fight the urge to go around this car full of kids. In my head I kept repeating," I have to set a good example. I could be their teacher. I'm in no rush...really. Lalalalalalalala...lalalalalalalala." The 7 minutes of torture didn't end until I pulled into my parking space. Lucky #13.

At 11 am a saw a text. As a mom I check my phone during every free moment... hallway... bathroom... closet.... check! There was a text. Wait. 2 texts and 3 missed calls!This could only mean one of three things. Red lights and sirens...Holy Emergency Batman! One of my kids is in trouble or pain. Damn it...Work gets in the way again! How dare I attempt to teach film analysis with a cranked up sound system. Sorting through the messages was like using a broken decoding toy. It didn't make sense at first and like the ride to work took way too long.

#1- School Nurse: Addison slipped during music class on a violin and is pretty uncomfortable. Please call me. ON A VIOLIN?????-9am
#2- Husband: Au Pair is trying to get in touch "w/me". She has to pick up Addi and needs a car. MAKES SENSE. AU PAIR DOESN'T HAVE CAR TODAY. IT'S IN THE SHOP BEING REPAIRED FROM THE OTHER NIGHT.- 9:06am
#3- School Nurse: Just wanted to make sure that I got her message earlier. YES I DID...HERE'S THE     PART THAT THREW ME OFF... "Addison is home"...WHAT?HUH?HOW?..."She's with your au pair." END OF MESSAGE...-9:54am
#4- Text from Julia: School called and had to pick Addi up. She fell on violin and got hurt on knee. We are home now. -10:10am
#5- Text from Neighbor - Wanted to let you know that saw Julia riding bike down road toward school. Offered her a ride to get Addi. Brought them home. Addi is in pain.

Ok...now my neighbor was involved and Julia attempted to pick our hurt kid up on a bike. This is why we love her. She get"s the job done no matter what. Thank goodness for nice neighbors. But what's up with our school letting my kid leave without speaking to Jim or I first?! Grrrrrrr.

Stressed out. Worried about my oldest. Pissed off. Could use a good run around the track! DING DING DING...no time to be Mommy. No time to eat LUNCH. Need to be HS educator. Costume change. Done.

Back to Mommy 42 minutes later. Discussed matter w/music teacher that also works with the little guys in my kiddos school. Questioned him about state of the hallways and asked if musical instruments are left in them. Have any kids ever fallen over them? Is there instrument storage? Is this safe..etc...etc. I'm a jackass. I let my Mommy emotional state cloud my better judgement. I had a conversation with out knowing all of the facts. Called school. Reamed out nurse in the most polite way possible.
Was told the sad tale of Addi .VS. the Violin. MUST HAVE 2ND CONVERSATION W/FRIENDLY MUSIC TEACHER!!

My goofy 4th grader and her cohorts were done with orchestra 5 minutes early. They decided to try and  "ballerina jump over the instrument cases." YES...You read correctly. My child was one of many. However she was the only uncoordinated goon that tripped and fell hard over a viola. Maybe it was another instrument? Are those big? I don't know my instruments. It was large and she fell and she cracked her knee and arm on the tile floor. Where was the teacher? Minutes later she was whisked away in a wheelchair. That was my afternoon. This is why I'm glad that I teach HS. Addi spent the night on the couch iced and motrin'ed up. Hopefully the swelling will go down and we won't need x-rays. Hmmm...Want to know about the rest of the day? Long story short...

Had to buy 3 blue football shirts for 3 girls who don't care about football so that they can be worn once on Football Friday then tossed in the back of a drawer forever.

Had issue w/register while buying football tees. Spent an hour at my bank. Found out my account is screwed up and my cash is there. Just not available for 2-3 days. Yay! I'm broke...but not really!! Went to pick up Chloe from a playdate to find that her favorite toy is somewhere buried in her friend's toys. Crying Chloe. Carry Chloe to car. Went home to hurt Addi. Fed kids leftovers because had no time to cook. Plan on doing the same to Jim. Did homework with the kids. They told me I was grumpy and mean. Grace had a tantrum. Grace was given time out. Grace had another tantrum. Grace apologized for tantrum. Addi complained about homework. I complained about Addi. Addi called me mean. Addi did her HW! Chloe is amazing. Chloe gets the coolest kid award for the night. Read kids story. Kids fell asleep. Time to blog! Jim walks in. Jim asks for dinner and comments on my choice of bright green eyeshadow. -Hey...I'm impessed. He noticed after a long work day. :) Keep blogging. Hubby asks if there is dinner for him?? My response.."Ummm. Yeah." His-"You're ignoring me and blogging. I'm going to blog that you don't love me enough to make me food."

Leftover Menu: tuna casserole and white wine.   Tomorrow's agenda: Mommy in early AM. Teacher for 1/2 day.  Minor Surgery to remove abnormal cells in the PM. This should be interesting. Wish me luck. ----IT WAS A CELLO!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! We have such similar lives down to the sarcastic husbands;)

    ReplyDelete