Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cupid Finally Strikes

Cupid was a big hit this morning. Moms and Dads you know what this means...
Mommy did a good job!
Grace was the first to rise. 6 a.m. - But before that there were Cupid checks at 2 a.m., 4 a.m. and 4:45. No surprise there! ( How did Jim sleep through this?)
The kids have been counting down the days until Valentine's Day for nearly two weeks. Every night we'd check the calendar, crossing of a box and getting that much closer. Not even the fact that the principal of their elementary school announced that there would be  NO CANDY DISTRIBUTED DURING SCHOOL TIME could the excitement and want of this day minimize!
The pressure on me to come through built with every passing box.
Thank God I didn't screw up!
Thank my lucky stars that I didn't fall asleep like a normal human being!
Thank you, who ever you are for not letting me sleep in bed with my husband as he got a good night's sleep!!?!
---WAIT.---
THAT DOESN'T SOUND RIGHT.
BUT IT IS...

Mommy hood as bless-ed as it be is also a heart wrenching curse. Didn't I fall "head over heels" for this man because we were drawn to each other? Didn't we buy that super luxurious, king sized bed,
...with the really expensive comforter set,
...and add our favorite pillows to it, so that we could sleep in it together?
Side by side.
Wrapped up in each other's arms?!

---OH!---
---I GET IT!---

I was supposed to read that top secret, manual...
the one that no one is allowed to speak of until after you have children?
It tells the reader that after the birth of children we become self giving martyrs of our own free will. We become sleep deprived, under appreciated, sometimes crazed individuals with nothing on our side but the next cup of coffee.
---LET ME REMIND YOU---
...We chose this path.
It may have been many naive years ago when the thought of extending our selves and our love for one another meant taking that next, quite natural step. -Unknowing what it really meant to become parents.
But we took the leap.
The leap of love.
The leap into parenthood.

---NOW.---
We experience a very different kind of love.
This is the kind of love that drives you wild and fills you with tears... not from passion and fire, 
...but from the beauty,
sincerity,
youth, 
joy,
pleasure,
tenderness,
simplicity,
pride,
happiness,
untainted love,
love in it's purest form,
...that your children are and that they give you each and every day. 


Jim and I opened our hand - made, heart felt Valentine's this morning. Our little bugs were so pleased to be giving them. We were even happier to receive them. 


Today my girls will come home on sugar highs... even though candy has been outlawed in school.
Again, no surprise there.
They'll work it all out in gymnastics.
If we're lucky they'll be exhausted and fall asleep early.
Jim and I will be able to steal a few adult moments together.
If not we'll have three "grabby" helpers crowding us, eager to open our cards for us!

Either way...I love  my four special Valentine's.  


As I conclude my blog I can't help but think of my younger, pregnant sister. You have so many beautiful roller coaster rides ahead of you. No one can ever prepare you for the true experience that parenthood is. Get ready for the ride of your life!

photo 1: Today's lunch...made at 1am by Mom.
photo 2: Chloe's bed...complete with rainbow umbrella to sleep beneath.
photo 3: Addi's chocolate sampling and math homework combo... aka bribery to get the job done!












No comments:

Post a Comment